Many factors come into play when Owners and Primes determine the delivery models to be used for the deployment of infrastructure networks:
- Scope and scale (financial, geographic, duration)
- Historic models
- Market environment
- Contractor capability, capacity and maturity
- Commercial/Risk considerations
Regardless of the delivery model, however, the fundamentals remain the same when considering the right project management solution:
- The work needs to be scoped from the design.
- The work then needs to be awarded to capable resources.
- The progress of the work will be monitored by multiple stakeholders.
- The work on the ground needs to be managed and optimised from day to day.
Different delivery models are sometimes referred to as “Hands Off”, “Light Touch” or “Heavy Touch” based on a number of considerations:
5. Delivery model decisions don’t change the fundamental phases of the deployment lifecycle but do affect who and how the phases will be project managed, for example:
- Prime Design & Construct approach
- Owner Design & Prime Construct approach
- Contractually mandated processes or not
Render offers flexible modular solutions for varying delivery models to provide a common platform to consistently plan, manage, automate and optimise network deployment. The fundamental phases of the deployment lifecycle map to the Render solution modules – Blueprint, Allocate, Control and Release.
For each Render solution option, Owners, Primes and Contractors utilise different Render modules with different responsibilities to align with the selected Delivery model.
Solution Example 1: Owner Design | Prime Construct
Consider the example of a large network deployment by an Owner/Prime utilising multiple Prime/Contractors over multiple geographic regions. Let’s say the Owner has decided to Design the network and adopt a Construct only approach with multiple Primes. The Owner will SCOPE, AWARD and MONITOR the work utilising Render’s Blueprint, Allocate and Control. The Primes will manage the work as they see fit but are required to provide regular updates on the progress of the works to the Owner via Render Control, at the Blueprint level of detail.
Solution Example 2: Prime Design & Construct
Consider another example of a large network deployment by an Owner/Prime utilising Prime/Contractors over multiple geographic regions. The Owner has decided to adopt a fully outsourced Design & Construct approach with multiple Primes.
The Owner here takes the decision to provide the Primes access to the Render CONTRACTOR MANAGE OPTIONAL Solution. The Owner will monitor the work using Render ‘Control’. The Primes are required to SCOPE their work using Render ‘Blueprint’ and are encouraged but not mandated to utilise Render ‘Allocate’ and ‘Release’ to MANAGE their works. Primes are required to provide regular updates on the progress of the works to the Owner via Render Control, at the Blueprint level of detail.
As noted, many factors come into play when Owners and Primes decide what delivery model will be used for the deployment of infrastructure networks. Selecting the right innovative project management solution is another important decision that needs to be made.
A commitment to innovation
Render provides innovative project management solutions for Owners, Primes and Contractors to ensure efficient deployment of infrastructure networks.
Using today’s technologies, Render dramatically improves productivity and data quality from the office to the field using the following methodology:
1. Create detailed, geospatial, sequenced work scope at the task level directly from the design
2. Describe and visualize work in detail on a map without the need for paper print
3. Provide detailed workload visibility to resource
4. Keep field resources busy with doable work
5. Capture as-built data once as work is done
6. Provide all Stakeholders access to accurate project data in real-time
Contact the Render team today to request a demo. Experience first-hand how Render can help you deliver a 20% productivity uplift in the field and the office.